The outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes has been reported in three states. All 10 contaminated individuals had been hospitalized and one loss of life was reported in Florida.
All these contaminated have reported consuming Italian-style meats, reminiscent of salami, mortadella and prosciutto, both prepackaged deli meats or meats sliced at deli counters. The investigation is in course of to see if a selected kind of deli meat or frequent provider is linked to sickness.
To keep away from getting sick:
- Individuals at larger danger for getting sick with Listeria ought to keep away from consuming deli meats until heated to an inner temperature of 165F or till steaming scorching simply earlier than serving.
Wash your hands after dealing with deli meats. Clear fridge cabinets, kitchen counter tops, utensils and different surfaces which will have come into contact with deli meats.
- Do not let juice from deli meats get on different meals, utensils and meals preparation providers.
- Preserve factory-sealed, unopened packages of deli meats within the fridge for not than two weeks. Preserve open packages and meat sliced at an area deli within the fridge for not than 5 days.
Listeria may cause completely different signs, relying on the individual and the a part of the physique affected.
Pregnant ladies sometimes have solely fever and different flu-like signs, reminiscent of fatigue and muscle aches. Infections throughout being pregnant, nonetheless, can result in miscarriage, stillbirth, untimely supply or life-threatening an infection of the new child.
- Different individuals might have signs together with headache, stiff neck, confusion, lack of stability and convulsions, along with fever and muscle aches.
- Signs often begin one to 4 weeks after consuming contaminated meals.
- The an infection is handled with antibiotics.